Re: Installation Help on Z9

No Etch did not seem to detect the QDIO adapter for whatever reason.  Lenny did, however.

I am pretty much stuck with lcs (for whatever reason, they don't want me to use the other adapter).  I am not sure how I am going to get the driver in there to configure it by hand if it is missing from the installer.  Looks like I can't get there from here.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bastian Blank" <waldi@debian.org>
To: "THOMAS DELANY" <tdelany@embarqmail.com>
Cc: debian-s390@lists.debian.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:23:00 AM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: Installation Help on Z9

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:59:59PM -0400, THOMAS DELANY wrote:
> Can anyone out there give me a little nudge in the right direction for
> getting Debian running on a Z9 in an LPAR?
> I have tried both Etch and Lenny without any success. I am trying to
> install from a tape image that I can IPL. I have had not problems in
> creating the tape image, or in getting it to IPL. The problem has come
> in with the network adapter.

Glad to hear that it also works in a LPAR. I'm usualy only able to test
within z/VM.

> With Etch, when the kernel boots from tape, no network adapters seem
> to be detected. With Lenny, I get farther, but the network adapter
> that I need to use still does not appear to get detected.

So Etch does not even detect the QDIO adapter?

> The adapter that I need to use is an OSA adapter in LCS mode. Lenny
> detects another OSA adapter on the system that is running in QDIO
> mode, but I cannot use that one because it does not have connectivity
> to the world.

I'm afraid but LCS support was removed from the installer years ago.
You can either set it up by hand or use QDIO like everyone else.

> I cannot seem to come up with the right kernel parameters for the
> kernel parameter file to make it load the driver for the OSA adapter
> in LCS mode. The installer does not detect the LCS adapter, and that
> is not even a choice presented to me by it.

Because the kernel module is missing from the installer.

We fight only when there is no other choice.  We prefer the ways of
peaceful contact.
		-- Kirk, "Spectre of the Gun", stardate 4385.3