Kernel Changes/Rebuild

A faculty member here would like to make use of virtual Debian machines running on an S/390 system in his OS class.  He'd like his students to run through several exercises in which they make changes to the kernel.

I'm not familiar with the process involved, and directed him to
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/index.html#contents for starters.  Are there other or better resources?

The faculty member does not have much Debian experience.  Neither do I.  Is the process involved in rebuilding the kernel pretty straight forward, or full of problems and "gotchas"?