Re: s390 Etch install problem

On Sep 11, 2007, at 8:16 AM, GaryR wrote:

Thanks Adam.  I think your response got lost amongst alot of spam.  I
am (thankfully) a little further along than this.  I am completely
familiar with the z/VM initrd boot process.  I am currently running
the 1st Marist build from 2001 in Production.  So, the problem is in
the kernel that is distributed on the DVD.  I have also downloaded the
s390 .iso from a Debian mirror hoping that it was a newer build, but
no go.  Is anyone else having this issue?  They must be if they're
using the binary's.

I have used the images from the DVD ISO successfully (the one you get directly from Debian; I can't speak to any third party ISOs except our own), many times. In fact, often enough that we've built our own installation server product around them (probably pricey for what you want to do; it's intended to be a preconfigured server for an installation repository--very handy for large z/VM sites running tens or hundreds of images, as it keeps you from having to go to the WAN for installation, and if you configure the proxy server, you can download fixes once only and only open up WAN access to your installation server. Less useful if you're running one or two images, though).

Are you sure you have the images all downloaded as binary F 80?

Adam