RE: Failed to update to 2.6.14 from 2.6.11

> > If you need to install the 2.6.14 kernel, you will probably have to
> > look for the relevant check in yaird and comment it out. If
> not, your
> > best option is probably just to reinstall the 2.6.11 kernel
> and remove
> > the 2.6.14 kernel.
>
> One other alternative. You can also try installing
> initramfs-tools and try
> to use that instead of yaird to create the initrd.

Ok.. reported a bug for yaird.. (bug # pending)

Now.. Also tried using good ole mkinitrd but now this won't boot :

mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
umount: devfs: not mounted
mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init×

Of course, I know the devfs messages are expected (I need to keep them in
the fstab for now because I need it for 2.6.11)..

But apparently, the root= semantic might have changed because of that..
(leading to an impossibility to mount /)

Any clue ?

--Ivan

PS : Do Not panic.. This is *NOT* a production system - it's just something
I setup to learn. Furthermore, I use a menu driven zipl so I can switch
between 2.6.11 & 2.6.14 at will ! and lastly, since I am running this on
hercules, I have a lot of latitude in testing various things..