bug tracking for non-RC architectures

Hi folks,

For architectures that are not release candidates, we are going to need
another way to track "release critical" bugs.  The whole point of having
architecture criteria is so the project can give higher priority to issues
affecting release architectures (or all architectures) than to issues that
are specific to an architecture that isn't meeting our standards for
releasability; and we're not doing that very effectively if we leave such
architecture-specific bugs at RC severity.  OTOH, we don't want to lose
sight of them by just downgrading the severities, as this would make it
awkward to reintroduce the architecture as a release candidate without also
silently reintroducing RC bugs.

Usertags to the rescue!

I've gone through the current list of release critical bugs at
<http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/all.html>, identified the
bugs that I believe are specific to one or more of arm, m68k, s390, and
sparc, and have downgraded/usertagged them.

The results for all archs can be seen here:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&users=debian-release@lists.debian.org&tag=rc-arm,rc-m68k,rc-s390,rc-sparc&nam0=Status&pri0=pending:pending,forwarded,pending-fixed,fixed,done&ttl0=Outstanding,Forwarded,Pending%20Upload,Fixed%20in%20NMU,Resolved&nam1=Architecture&pri1=tag:rc-arm,rc-m68k,rc-s390,rc-sparc&ttl1=arm,m68k,s390,sparc&ord1=0,1,2,3

Per-architecture views are also available:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&users=debian-release@lists.debian.org&tag=rc-arm
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&users=debian-release@lists.debian.org&tag=rc-m68k
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&users=debian-release@lists.debian.org&tag=rc-s390
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&users=debian-release@lists.debian.org&tag=rc-sparc

This gives us convenient access to the bug lists relevant to each
architecture, so that they can be upgraded again if/when the architecture
meets the release criteria.  I strongly encourage you to use this same
usertag convention (rc-$arch usertag, under user
debian-release@lists.debian.org) when filing new bugs about breakage
specific to your architecture.  Please refer to Anthony Towns'
announcement[0] if you have questions about the use of usertags.

Oh, and this also gives porters a handy list of bugs affecting their
architecture that they can be working on in between getting things back in
line with the release arch standards.  As always, porter NMUs are encouraged
-- you don't need an RC bug as an excuse to fix a package for your
architecture!  Wouldn't it be great to have zero bugs on that page two
months from now? :)

Thanks,

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/09/msg00002.html