Kernel 2.6

Hello All,

I am Jeronimo and I work at one University in Brazil and here we have a
S/390. We installed the Debian Woody 3.0 some time ago, and now we have
make a another installation with Sarge 3.1, and if possible, using a
kernel 2.6. Is it possible?

I downloaded the images from
ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic and when I start the Profile, appers kernel 2.4.27. The installer recognize my NIC LCS, but it doesn't work, I don't know how yet, but in console, I write "ifconfig eth0" and receive a error that says "Device not found" and assing the IP Address to interface sit0.

What can I do?

Thank You

Jeronimo Bezerra