Re: Installation of sarge on hercules

On Saturday 29 January 2005 01:31, Ivan Warren wrote:
> Side note : Current upstream hercules version is 3.02, not 3.01
> (maybe you should give it a try !)

Thank you for alerting me to that. I now get over 30 MIPS sometimes.
The maximum I used to see with 3.01 was about 24, so an improvement
of about 25%. Impressive!
Makes a lot of difference when running aptitude and such.

However, I did get what looks like a serious error during boot of
my existing installation:
Starting MTA:
ctc0 Illegal packet type 0xffff received, dropping
/usr/sbin/update-exim4.conf: line 380:   243 Segmentation fault      mv -f ${UPE
X4C_outputfile}.tmp ${UPEX4C_outputfile}
exim4.

There was a new version of exim4 available, and during the upgrade
I got a similar error:
Installing new version of config file /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.postinst: line 182:   815 Segmentation fault      mv /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.tmp /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
dpkg: error processing exim4-config (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139

I've never seen similar errors while running 3.01.
(Weird that moves should cause segfaults.)

After restarting hercules with only 1 processor (I've been running with 2),
everything was fine. After that I started with 2 processors again and the
error during boot did not reoccur.
So I'm not sure if the problem was fixed by restarting hercules or by reducing
the number of processors. I'll keep an eye out for other weirdness.

Cheers,
FJP