Debian installation

Since there were several requests for help on Debian installation, I have done an installation this morning. Please find the report of the initial steps below:

First of all I downloaded the mkinitrd2.sh script to build a second ramdisk containing the OCO modules from
http://www.trustsec.de/deb390/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=5
I edited the script to drop lcs, since lcs is no longer needed as OCO module. I have attached the modified script for your convenience.

I downloaded then the qeth and qdio OCO modules from
http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux390/current2_4_x-august2001.shtml#downloads

Since Debian uses the 2.4.17 kernel I followed the links on the URL above to get finally

31-bit: qdio-2.4.17-s390-7.tar.gz

         31-bit: qeth-2.4.17-s390-7.tar.gz

I put all three files, mkinitrd2.sh, qdio-2.4.17-s390-7.tar.gz and qeth-2.4.17-s390-7.tar.gz in the same directory and run 'mkinitrd2.sh 2.4.17' as root.

I downloaded then initrd.debian, kernel.debian, parmfile.debian and debian.exec from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-s390/current/vmrdr/
If you want to install in a LPAR, you should download initrd.debian, kernel.debian and parmfile.debian from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-s390/current/tape/ .

I uploaded then initrd2.debian-2.4.17 as initrd2.debian and initrd.debian, kernel.debian, parmfile.debian, debian.exec to the VM guest and started the installation by running debian. The ftp settings
 should be locsite fix 80 and ascii for parmfile.debian and debian.exec
and binary for the other files.

Regards,
Gerhard
#!/bin/sh

# Create a second initrd for Debian GNU/Linux. This disk contains the
# OCO (object code only) modules from IBM developerWorks.
#
# Written by Stefan Gybas <sgybas@debian.org>. Released under the GPL!
#
# Instructions: Put all downloaded OCO archives in the current directoy
# and call this script. It will create an compressed initrd image which
# can will be loaded by the Linux kernel after the main initrd.
# Parameters: $1: kernel version (e.g. 2.4.17)

# the kernel version and architecture (s390, x390x)
kver=$1
arch=s390				# or use `uname -m`

# the name of the initrd image, its size and the number of inodes in it
initrd=initrd2.debian-$kver
initsize=300
initinodes=20

# DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE!

# destination directory inside the initrd
destdir=lib/modules/$kver/kernel/drivers/$arch/net

# create the initrd ext2fs and mount it via loopback
echo "creating initrd image..."
dd if=/dev/zero of=$initrd.tmp bs=1k count=$initsize
mke2fs -O none -F -q -N $initinodes -m 0 $initrd.tmp
grep -q loop /proc/devices || insmod loop
mkdir $initrd.mnt || true
mount -t ext2 -o loop $initrd.tmp $initrd.mnt

# create the directory layout of the initrd
rmdir $initrd.mnt/lost+found
mkdir -p $initrd.mnt/$destdir || true

# unpack the OCO archives
mkdir ${initrd}.${arch} || true
for i in qdio qeth; do
    prefix=${i}-${kver}-${arch}
    if [ -f $prefix*.tar.gz ]; then
        echo -n "Processing $i module for $arch... "
	tmpdir=$initrd.$arch/$i
        mkdir $tmpdir || true
        tar -C $tmpdir -x -z -f $prefix*.tar.gz
        mv $tmpdir/$prefix*.o $initrd.mnt/$destdir/$i.o
        rm -rf $tmpdir
        echo "done."
    else
        echo "$i archive for $kvers ($arch) not found!"
        exit 1
    fi
done
rm -rf $initrd.$arch

# fix permissions, unmount the initrd and compress the image
chown -R root:root $initrd.mnt
umount $initrd.mnt
rm -rf $initrd.mnt
gzip $initrd.tmp