Re: will s390 have a working installer for sarge?

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2004-04-11 13:01]:
> As far as I know, the current stats of s390 with the debian
> installer is that we cannot use d-i's standard partition
> formatter/mounter because it is based on parted, which assumes a
> different disk sector size than that used on s390. AFAIK, noone is
> working on either fixing this, or comeing up with a woraround. If
> it's not fixed, we will not be able to ship s390 with beta 4 of the
> debian installer and that is a short step from not shipping s390
> with sarge.

Bastian Blank said that parted cannot be used because the assumption
of 512 byte sectors is hardcoded all over the place.  Instead, he
suggested fixing partconf so it can work without knowing about
disklabels.  I asked trustsec if they can work on this, but I'm not
sure what the status is.
--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org