Re: LVM usage

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 07:04:15PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2003 17:28, Jack Cobb wrote:
> > We are interested in using LVM on our Debian Woody install.  We
> > currently have a box with two DASD devices using the ext3 filesystem.
> > Has anyone used LVM before and are there any issues we should be aware
> > of before proceeding?

> - - Use LVM striping to get better performance. If you can exchange
>   your two dasds for 4 to 8 smaller ones (not more minidisks on the
>   same dasd), that will even be better. Don't use striping among
>   minidisks on one dasd.

If you are allowed to use dedicated dasds (allocated on a Shark or some
similar storage), ask the dasd administrator to allocate the disks from
separate clusters and also from separate ranks. He/she might find this a bit
unusual, but never mind, it will increase your throughput. Using of more
than one channel helps obviously also a lot. The striping factor should be
either the number of the channels used, or (a bug in older LVM versions) the
number of the physical volumes.

--
Sándor Bárány
          "Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Strictly Optional"