Re: How to generate vmrdr files

On Friday 21 March 2003 19:53, Guillaume Morin wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I am trying to rebuild the vm-rdr installation files
> (ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-s390/current/vmrdr).
> I thought this was done by the boot-floppies, but unless I am missing
> obvious it does not seem to be the case.
>
> Could anyone point me to some documentation for that or tell me how to do
> it ?

Downloading the boot-floppies source package and building it generates
several files, among them bf-images_3.0.22_s390.tar.gz that contains the
vmrdr and tape installation files.

You have to adapt the udebname in s390-specials/kernel.sh to
kernel-image-2.4.17-s390-tape-udeb_2.4.17-3_s390.udeb to get a successful
build for the 2.4.17 kernel.

The kernel images contained in the boot floppies are just copied from the
kernel-image debs and udebs, the ramdisk is generated from several debs by
the boot-floppies build process.

If you want to replace only the kernel for the vmrdr, you don't need to build
the boot floppies, just replace the kernel image.

The boot floopies build process is hard to understand and to change. That's
one reason we are going to switch to another installation method.

Gerhard