Re: IPL from tape.

Citando Gerhard Tonn <GerhardTonn@gammatau.de>:

> On Saturday 01 February 2003 04:30, Jorge Ventura wrote:
> > I'm trying to boot Debian S/390 under an IBM 9672 R22 with Ramac III
> > dasds.
> >
> > I'm downloaded tape files (initrd, kernel and parm) from Debian site and
> > recorded them in a 3490 cartdrige.
> > I did the ipl from tape but get in 9672 HMC Hardware Messages the
> > following:
> > IPL Error. Disable wait PSW 000a000000000000.
> >
> > I tested earlier Suse 7.2 to ipl from tape under same machine and it
> > works fine and under CMS, successful too.
> >
> > But Debian from tape seens to have a problem with the file images...:o(
> >
> > Any hint or tip about how to solve this problem?
> >

> Thanks for your interest in Debian. Could you provide more information, if
> possible, the entire set of operating system messages written to the
> console.
>
> I will look into it then.
>
> Regards,
> Gerhard
>

> --

Thanks Mr. Gerhard for your attentiion

I did a tape as recomended in the IBM manual and record the files in that order:

kernel.image  (lrecl 1024
kernel.param  (lrecl 1024
kernel.initrd (lrecl 1024

The kernel.param file has only one parameter, "ro" but we suppose its
not complete and we include a device parameter for dasd and the root
parm. The file become the same as used with Suse 7.2 that works, at
least for IPL.

On IPL, after the system read the kernel.image, the first and unique message we
receive at mainframe console is

IPL Error. Disable wait PSW 000a000000000000 .

I think that the image for tape is corrupted. I didn't find any person
that have used tapes for IPL. I have to because for the model of 390 I have this
is the only way to use Linux in standalone machine (withou VM).

By the way, the problem is the same if I try to do the IPL from tape under CMS.

Best regards and thanks.
Jorge Ventura