Re: Installing PHP4

Matt;

Thanks for the reply, but, what I really started on was installing
mod_ssl. No package for that. the deb pkg for apache is too far
back level for the latest mod_ssl that contains "Important bugfixes."

So, I installed apache by hand.

Then, I'd like to have php to experiment with, and the package is
4.1.2 while the latest stable release is 4.3.3 and anyway the
package probably won't install correctly with the hand-installed
apache!

The upshot is that I have yet to be able to do any useful installs
or upgrades from packages, rpms, etc. They are generally too far
back-level to have the features I need.

Oh well, I don't have enough "real work" to keep me busy anyway!

Tnx
Dennis

                    Matt Zimmerman
                    <mdz@debian.or       To:     debian-s390@lists.debian.org
                    g>                   cc:
                    Sent by: Matt        Subject:     Re: Installing PHP4
                    Zimmerman
                    <mdz@alcor.net

                    09/18/2003
                    10:07 AM

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:51:21AM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> I keep getting the error
>
>     configure: error: Cannot find MySQL header files under /<whatever>
>
> when I run configure for php 4.3.3.
>
> What file(s) is configure looking for? I have tried pointing --with-mysql
=
> at every place I can find some mysql stuff and nothing seems to work.
>
> Are they perhaps not installed in the vanilla debian distribution and I
> need to install another package?

First of all, if you want to install php4, I strongly recommend that you
intsall it from a Debian package (either source or binary), and not by
compiling by hand.

Second, no, the mysql development package is not installed by default on
every Debian system (why would it be?).  The package you want is
libmysqlclient10-dev, but you'll find that php4 requires a lot of other
packages in order to build everything (which is taken care of for you if
you
build from a package).

--
 - mdz