nmbd in Samba

I recently have installed Debian on my S/390 mainframe. I am running it
under z/VM. I am somewhat new to the mainframe world so please be a little
forgiving. I am working with a co-worker who has a good bit of knowledge in
that area but I maintain the Linux server. I am moving my printers from
Novell to Linux. I installed Woody from CD's I created using jigdo with the
security updates from the Debian FTP site. I installed woody on a PC in a
remote site the same way. I copied the Samba and LPRng config files from the
mainframe installation to the PC installation so that the configurations
would be the same. The question I have is in Samba. On the mainframe
installation, I do not have an nmbd process running and cannot seem to start
it. It is running on the PC server in my remote site. Is there a known issue
concerning this? I did a search on the internet and didn't find anything.
What impact does not having nmbd have? I can find my server and print to it
without any difficulty. From what I understand of nmbd, NetBIOS will not
work without it but that doesn't seem to restrict my ability to run as a
print server.

Thanks!

Sam Warren, Jr.

Computer Technician