Re: LVM usage

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:03:38PM +0200, Erik Tews wrote:

> Generally, LVM is a fine thing. There are currently 4 implementations for
> Linux I know. The first one is the old LVM from Sistina. It is included in
> the 2.4 kernel and works very well. There is a additional patch called
> vfs-locking-patch which makes snapshotting mounted filesystems a little
> bit better.

The vfs-locking patch is required for read-only snapshots of reiserfs, and
probably ext3 as well, due to the journal.  This patch is included in
kernel-patch-evms (both 1.x and 2.x).

> The new evms uses the same kernel-code as lvm2 and has nearly the same
> features as evms1. The current release is 2.0.1 I think. Because it uses
> the same kernel-code as lvm2, it will be possible when 2.6.0 is released
> to install lvm2 or evms2 without having to touch the kernel because this
> code will be included in 2.6.0.

Yes, 2.0.1 is the current release, and is available in unstable and testing.
evms 1.0.0 is in woody.

While evms 2.x will work with only device-mapper in the kernel (if it is a
recent enough version), some of the added features of EVMS require new
device-mapper targets (sparse devices and bad block relocation).  These are
included in 2.x versions of kernel-patch-evms, along with the recommended
device-mapper patch and the VFS locking patch.

--
 - mdz