tape390 problems

I was wondering if anyone out there has been using the tape390 module
successfully?

I have been backing up our Debian 390 systems with Amanda to an i386 Woody
box with a DLT, and it works fine. However, my boss would like to see if we
can use our 3490e tape drives instead. The module inserts without complaint,
and I have created the devices with mknod using the guidelines in the IBM
device driver Redbook. We attach the tape drive to the VM guest machine, but
when I look at /proc/tapedevices there aren't any entries.

If somebody has an answer for this, it would be most appreciated.