Re: Some Questions

>>>>> "Joris" == Joris Mocka <Joris.Mocka@dkv-euroservice.com> writes:

 Joris> Our setup is like this:

 Joris> CPU 9672-RA6, 2G RAM, 16 Escon, 8 Parallelchannels and a Shark
 Joris> SAN

Enough RAM, probably no IO bottleneck.  Ok.

 Joris> Now we have to setup linux parallel in a VM to VSE and OS/390
 Joris> MVS - is there any chance to get it faster than a 486?

Uh, why do you think it is *that* slow?  My experience is that S/390
is a pretty fast machine for IO, not that fast for CPU, but not that
slow.

 Joris> Or should we better install linux on a seperate LPAR? And then it
 Joris> works better native or within a Z/VM?

I do like VM, because you can run a lot guests very easily.  I don't
know if LPARs are still at most 16.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

 Joris> We like to have a
 Joris> direction which Hardware we need to setup linux with websphere
 Joris> and db2. Know it's running at a crawl if you just make an jdbc
 Joris> test. Do have any suggestions or hints and tips?

Uh, What JRE are you using?  Is there swapping?  How much memory has
your guest, and did you try something like V=R (I think that's from
VSE, hm).  Any numbers from vmstat, iostat and top?  How many CPUs
real and virtual?

Is that really your application, or are you more interested in samba?
You should benchmark your application, not something you won't use
anyway.

Jochen

--
#include <~/.signature>: permission denied