Re: some news

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:22:00AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> What about boot-floppies support?  Richard?

We don't need boot-floppies like on i386. What we need is an installer
that configures the system, much like base-config, but with many additions
like network configuration (iucv, ctc, lcs or qeth). The first installation
steps have to be done outside of Linux, e.g. on VM or in an LPAR - we "just"
need documentation for this. I think the new debian-installer is much better
suited for S/390 than the old boot-floppies so maybe we should try to make
it work on S/390 instead of spending a lot of time on boot-floppies.

We have disussed some details at LinuxTag 2001 but we are not sure if we can
do all this until woody is released. I'll talk to the release manager if
we should try to release woody or not.

--
Stefan Gybas