Re: [zHercules] IPL from cdrom

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:15:52PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> To: zHercules@yahoogroups.com
> From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:15:52 -0500
> Subject: Re: [zHercules] IPL from cdrom
>
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:10:10PM -0000, jj@septa.nl wrote:
This reply is crossposted to the debian-s390 list as a 'heads-up' to
Debian s390 developers that Hercules now supports "IPL from CDROM".

> > I have added support to ipl from cdrom as the  >= G5 machines can.  One
> > can now IPL the standard SuSE S/390 distribution with ipl /cdrom/suse.ins
> > assuming that thats where the cd is mounted.
>
> Is /cdrom/suse.ins a Linux image, or something else?  How are parameters
> passed to it?
Newer S/390's are run from the HMC, (Hardware Management Console).
The HMC is just an OS/2 box, and, as such, also has a CDROM.
The CDROM used to be used to install/upgrade Microcode.
G5 and upwards can also IPL from the CDROM.

I've forgotten the incantation to wade through the panels,
(don't have access to an LPAR Console at home, and a P/390 doesn't support this)
but when you get there, you can tell it to read and IPL from a file such as
Filename: /cdrom/redhat.ins
<contents>
	* Red Hat Linux for S/390 Installation
	images/tapekrnl.img 0x00000000
	images/tapeinrd.img 0x00800000
	images/lpar.prm 0x00010480
</contents>
This will load the tape_kernel, parmline and initrd and put them
where ever you want them to be in memory.

Thanks and cudo's to jj for adding this to Hercules.

mdz: I'm working on a debian CVS copy from 'boot-floppies' on the
documentation for the S/390-Port, and am trying to understand how the
Debian CDROMs are generated for a distribution, so that we can add this
as an 'accepted way of IPL'ing' into a new/rescue Debian/390 installation.

Richard
--
Unix:        Your gun, Your bullet, Your foot, Your choice.
M$-CE/ME/NT: Same as Unix, BUT: No choice, and We Aim Higher.