Re: cross compilation: dev packages depending on rustc

Hi,

Quoting James McCoy (2024-02-13 20:19:13)
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 07:42:41PM +0100, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> > I was wondering what this dependency on rustc is for and why it is
> > necessary.  If packages shipping C header files would depend on gcc, the
> > same thing would happen.
> >
> > Can you shed some light on the situation?
>
> This is because the crate states that its minimum rust version is 1.70.
>
> https://sources.debian.org/src/rust-gdk4/0.7.3-1/Cargo.toml/#L14
>
> Rust is in sort of a weird spot here.  The library crates exist solely
> to build actual binary crates.  The package being built may not have a
> minimum required Rust version, but the library crates that it
> (transitively) Build-Depends on do, and that's what this is trying to
> express.

instead of using a Depends, could a Breaks be used like this:

Breaks: rustc (<< 1.70), rustc (>> 1.70)

This would not draw in a rustc dependency but would make it impossible to
install it together with the wrong rustc version.

What do you think?

Thanks!

cheers, josch