Re: allow missing description fields and empty long descriptions for Rust/etc packages?

Hi

Le mer. 20 sept. 2023, 04:11, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> a écrit :

So I would like to suggest Debian relax our requirements around binary
package descriptions, especially for Rust binary packages.

Does anyone object to this change?

Yes, definitely.

I know it is a pain to write those texts, but they are the most user-bound part of packaging, and Debian is about user service.

I would be very surprised if the required information weren't available somewhere in each and every rust package. Perhaps the ecosystem doesn't have it in a specific and easy to extract automatically place. Perhaps the packaging tools for rust crates don't know how to get it. But those are no good reasons to stop looking for it for our users' benefit.

I would go as far as to say: open an upstream issue if someone just pushed a pile of code out the door without even the shortest description!

Cheers,

J.Puydt