Re: rust-aes update?

On 23/01/2023 09:46, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

    Hi

I noticed you've updated rust-aes on debcargo to 0.8.2

Well all I did was update the packaging for the current debcargo,
it was Noctis who introduced the update to 0.8.2.

>, but didn't
> finish it yet. Is there anything blocking that?

There seem to be a few issues.

Firstly there are direct reverse dependencies, rust-zip and rust-secret-service.
Both currently depend upstream on version 0.7 of aes. There is a pull request
from Blair Noctis updating secret-service but it adds a dependency on the new
package cbc which is not yet in Debian.

There don't seem to be any proposed fixes/updates for rust-zip.

Then there is the fact that the new version of aes depends on a new version
of cipher. Reverse dependencies of this include

* rust-aes-soft and rust-aes-ctr, I think these should probablly be removed
   when aes is updated.
* rust-block-modes, this is deprecated upstream, the only reverse dependency
   in debian is secret-service. The PR submitted by noctis to update secret-service
   to the new aes also gets rid of the dependency on block-modes so block-modes
   should also probablly be removed as part of this update

The new version of rust-cipher also has a dependency on rust-inout which is
not currently in Debian.

And then there is the fact that we are supposed to be in a transition freeze at
the moment. I think an update of this complexity certainly counts as a transition.

I would suggest that if you want to update aes you work with Noctis to do so
in experimental. It can then be uploaded to unstable after the bookworm
release.

> I've uploaded a new fernet and it depends on 0.8, so it's currently uninstallable :)

Depending on what you need the fernet crate for it might be an option
to patch out the "rustcrypto" feature and it's associated optional
(in the rust sense) dependencies.