Re: aes*, block-modes, and secret-service crates

On 2022/11/22 12:25, Blair Noctis wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I've noticed that the aes-ctr, aesni and aes-soft crates are all marked
> deprecated with a 0.99.99 version, suggesting use of aes instead. It seems a
> good idea to remove them:
>
> aesni is never uploaded; reverse dependency search finds nothing for aes-ctr,
> only an older version of aes for aes-soft, but current version 0.8.2 of aes
> doesn't depend on aes* crates anymore.
>
> aes is a dependency of secret-service, which holds a wip/secret-service branch
> since 5 Nov 2019 and has seen only "QA uploads" with no real usage. It's still a
> useful crate and I plan to suggest a dependency update upstream.
>
> block-modes is another dependency of secret-service, also deprecated and have no
> other rdeps.
>
> I suggest that we RM aes-ctr, aes-soft and block-modes since they are deprecated
> upstream and nothing uses them (when secret-service is updated actually), and
> update aes and secret-service to an adequate state.

A pull request updating secret-service is up at
https://github.com/hwchen/secret-service-rs/pull/59 and waiting to be merged.
That'll eliminate the need for block-modes and justify updating aes. It does
introduce a new dependency (cbc), but that's actively maintained.

--
Sdrager,
Blair Noctis