Re: Anything I do with the Rust team?

On 2021-08-30 09:38, Gard Spreemann wrote:
Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> writes:

Le 27/08/2021 à 19:21, Gard Spreemann a écrit :
Hi list,

I'm a DD who recently got excited about Rust. I thought I'd offer up my help if the Debian Rust team needs any. Your work so far seems amazing –
so much so that developing Rust using only crates from librust-*-dev
Debian packages feels quite comfortable, even though as far as I
understand that isn't even the intention?

Correct. For now, we haven't put much efforts into making them available
for Rust developers.

They are here to build the rust binaries.

Got it. It does seem to provide for a pretty smooth experience,
though. I've managed to get quite far with

 [net]
 offline = true
 [source]
 [source.crates-io]
 replace-with = "debian"
 [source.debian]
 directory = "/usr/share/cargo/registry"

in my cargo config, and installing Debian packages for the few crates I
use in my project. So I'm happy!
Oh, cool stuff. Could you please document this in debcargo conf readme file?

Thanks
Sylvestre

Are there any writeups on the Debian Rust tooling I should read?

Sure

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/RustPackaging

https://salsa.debian.org/rust-team/debcargo-conf/blob/master/README.rst

https://blog.hackeriet.no/packaging-a-rust-project-for-debian/

are great references!

Thanks!

Any big items on the agenda going forward?

bat dependencies needs to be updated.

The list of great rust applications is growing:

https://github.com/rust-unofficial/awesome-rust

There are also a few ideas here:

https://salsa.debian.org/rust-team/debcargo-conf/-/blob/master/TODO.rst

Wonderful. I'll take a look.