Re: Encryption in Russia

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:35:06PM +0000, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:

> It's a bit late on the topic, however I must say that according to our
> company's lawer the use of any cryptographic software and/or hardware
> without a proper licence is a legal offence (and this software/hardware
> must also have a proper certificate).  Depending on whether you use it
> as a physical entity or as a juridical entity, you are eligible to
> either administrative or criminal liability.

As far as I understand, one cannot sell and use unlicensed cryptography
tools only in case it is a _government_ organisation, or one does work
with them (for example, writing software for government orgs). In case
of a commercial usage there are no restricitions, since it's a private
issue of each company. Perhaps, your lawer can provide some "test"
juridical cases on that matter?

--
Regards, Wartan.
"Computers are not intelligent. They only think they are."