Re: Koi8-r font problems

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Berteun Damman wrote:

> In general KDE application do not seem to understand koi8-r with the
> exception of Konqueror. Other applications do seem to work, I can start
> a xterm with:

It seems to me that now the more application knows about i18n the more
problems it causes for inexperienced users.

KDE is based on Qt and Qt is Unicode-aware toolkit. So, it converts
data from the file into Unicode internally and would properly display
Russian characters only if it has enough information about encoding
of data, not fonts.

Typically, people who write such programs test them only with
localization settings correct for particular language.

So, you'll have to start kdict with LANG set to ru_RU.KOI8-R
(probably you'll also want LC_MESSAGES set to "C").

Fortunately these setting are just environment variables and can be easily
set on per-process (rather than per-desktop) basis.