Re: Q: foo.orig.tar.gz

From: Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@arsdigita.com>
Subject: Re: BAD: Handling of package-index by package release and install system
To: XEmacs Beta List <xemacs-beta@xemacs.org>
Date: 26 May 2001 21:41:54 +0200

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

> Personally, I blame GNU/tar.  Try doing this:
>
> tar cvzf test.tar.gz /some/directory/
> md5sum test.tar.gz > test.md5
> rm test.tar.gz
> tar cvzf test.tar.gz /some/directory/
> md5sum test.tar.gz >> test.md5
> cat test.md5

The first fault in the reasoning is that you're actually using two
programs: tar and gzip.  If I try the test like this:

tar cf x.tar test-dir
tar cf y.tar test-dir

...the resulting files are the same.  However, if I do this:

tar czf x.tar.gz test-dir
tar czf y.tar.gz test-dir

...they differ.

The problem is that `gzip' "helpfully" adds a timestamp to the file,
even it is completely unneeded for TAR files which keep their own
timestamp information.  Hopefully, there is a flag that removes this.
So if I try:

tar cf - test-dir | gzip -cn > x.tar.gz
tar cf - test-dir | gzip -cn > y.tar.gz

...the files are the same.