From: J.A. Bezemer <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl>
To: aigarius@mail.lv <aigarius@mail.lv>
Date: Tuesday, September 05, 2000, 12:08:14 AM
Subject: Strange rsync issue
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> "J.A. Bezemer" wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > > On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> > > [snip, commands seem correct]
> > > If you never got to the full 100% (or perhaps 99%), it is a good
> > > posibility that you never synced the entire image.
> > Correct, and if rsync stops (or is killed) without the transfer being
> > complete, it deletes its tempfile and essentially leaves everything unchanged.
> > So the big file you saw after rsyncing only 2% was still your pseudo-image.
> > (Note that this is the intentional behaviour; otherwise you would have had
> > only 2%=13MB left, and would have had to re-create the pseudo-image.)
>
> Ok. I tried rsyncing for the second time from ftp.se.d.o .
> After apr. 10 hours it finished with >600 Mb data read ( .3 $ per Mb )
> It said that 23 Mb data was matched.

This is nonsense. It should be ~10 MB data read and >600 MB matched.
There's something very wrong here.

> MD5 sum didn't match.
> ( 13d1c3648285fc4119c497aff3c0e205 binary-i386-1_NONUS.iso )
> ( Might it be that this is md5 sum if no -b key is used ? )

Don't know, but even if so, I suspect that's not all of the problem.

> Rsyncing again (blocksize=65536).
> It froze after 3 hours on 98% after transferring another 300+ Mb.
> (It's not killed yet)
> That's it. I'll better find someone to ftp it to Latvia so I can grab it
> on free, national traffic.

And have that "someone" pay for the traffic? ;-)  Instead, you'd better get a
CD set from one of the many vendors, http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors
("faster and cheaper" ;-)

> Is there a way I can get rsync temp file and what is in the file-to-rsync.

The rsync temp file is called something like .binary-i386-1.12345 in the same
dir, but I think Windows won't allow you to read it while rsync is still
running. From a second DOS box, you could try to cd to that directory, and use
"cp .binary-i386-1.12345 rsync-tempfile" to get a readable copy of it. Or
perhaps forcing the rsync's DOS box close may result in rsync not deleting its
tempfile.

> BTW It is a Win2000 Professional

Haven't heard any real problem on any platform in a long time...

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer

Best regards,
 Aigars                            mailto:aigarius@mail.lv