RE: /dev/mouse

Alex,
ñ ÎÅÄÁ×ÎÏ ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ ÏÔ×ÅÔ ÎÁ ÐÏÈÏÖÉÊ ×ÏÐÒÏÓ ïÌÅÇÕ.
(ÎÁ comp.editor.xemacs ÜÈÅ)

÷ÌÁÄ.

------------------------  ÏÔ×ÅÔ ------------------------

÷ ÐÉÓØÍÅ <1fpij8.pr.ln@localhost.localdomain>, Oleg Letsinsky
<letsinsky@mtu-net.ru> ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:

> Could you e-mail me please how did you do it? My Netscape never
> understood cyrillic. Not that I really care, but...

Hello,
To set up Netscape working with Russian, I did the following things:

Install Netscape 4.73

Install XFree86  3.3.6 (anything after 3.3.3 should work)

Installed Cronyx fonts and made sure that Netscape ca use them
to display pages

Created a new keyboard map file (attached)
and placed it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/ru-phonetic

Added the following group to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86

default xkb_keymap "ru-phonetic" {
    xkb_keycodes        { include "xfree86"             };
    xkb_types           { include "default"             };
    xkb_compatibility   { include "default"             };
    xkb_symbols         { include "us(pc105)+ru-phonetic"};
    xkb_geometry        { include "pc"                  };
};

Then Made the following modifications to the XF86Config
Keyboard section:

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 30
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   #
   #
   #all items below should come from lib/X11/xkeycode/xfree86
   #because I am specifying XkbLayout as ru-phonetic
   #XkbTypes        "default"
   #XkbCompat       "default"
   #XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   #XkbGeometry     "pc"
   #
   #
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc101"
   XkbLayout       "ru-phonetic"
   XkbKeymap       "xfree86(ru-phonetic)"
EndSection

After that I placed the following in to my .Xresources file
(I do not think that is needed, though)

Netscape*XmlGrid: fontList_

In my .bash_profile I added
export LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
export LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R

To switch to russian keyboard, I now press Caps lock.
Make sure you do not run xruskb or any other xmap mapping
software --- and you should be in business!

... snip ...

Regards,
Vladislav P.