Re: Куча либ. Можно ли убрать?

Aleksey Novodvorsky wrote:

> On 26-Nov-1999 Sergey Golod wrote:
> > "Виктор Вислобоков" wrote:
> >
> >> Привет всем.
> >>
> >> Разбираясь с Packages у POTATO обнаружил, что имеется
> >> куча компиляторов C, C++ и соответственно библиотек.
> >> Кто-нибудь мне объяснит зачем столько? И что можно
> >> убрать.
> >>
> >> gcc            - это понятно egcs
> >> gcc272     - это старый gcc, а он нужен? Что-то не собирается
> >>                      с egcs?
> >
> > ядро например. Точнее оно собирается, но Линус&Co рекомендует использовать
> > gcc272.
> Это когда они такое говорили? Много воды утекло. Я уже собираю 2.2.14 с gcc
> 2.95.2.

Аналогично, 2.3.28 работает уже больше недели сделаное gcc-2.95.2, в то время как
2.2.13 валилось каждые 10-15 часов.

Выдержка из kt.linuxcare.com:

The kernel as well is of course in a constant state of development, but there are
perennial issues that keep coming up. Kernel code is still not fully compatible
with the latest C compilers, and Linus still recommends a compiler that is years
old by now (GCC 2.7.2). The kernel source is gradually being updated for more
recent compilers, but for now the problem remains. In addition, as we move closer
to a new stable series, the last stable series still has not fully stablized. In
particular, a file corruption bug has been biting people for quite a while now, and
seems no closer to being found than when it was first reported, in spite of
determined hunting by big-time hackers like Alan Cox.

--
 wbr, Sergey Golod.     email: rover@tobolsk.net.ru