Re: rackup and rack3.0

Hi Cédric,

Em 18/07/2023 04:28, Cédric Boutillier escreveu:
Hi!

I was trying to update ruby-adsf in experimental, as it uses rack3.0. It
requires rackup >= 2.1, uploaded in unstable by Lucas K a few weeks ago,
but the package did not build because of the missing build-dependency
rack3.0 in unstable (#1027339).

Sorry, this was a mistake when I initially uploaded rackup (and also rack-session) to unstable, it should have landed in experimental first. And then I thought we would get rack 3 in unstable soon and there wouldn't be a need to upload to experimental, which is not the case yet.

So I was wondering if reuploading rackup to experimental (with version
2.1.0-1~exp1) would be a good idea.

We can do that for sure, but I think this version string wouldn't work well because we already have 2.1.0-1 in unstable. You could pin the version locally but I am not sure about the builders' behavior. If you are confident this works, then please go ahead :)

On the same topic, Lucas, do you have an update on how far we are to
have rack3.0 in unstable?

I checked the status of the rack 3 support in some upstream projects but some projects are still lacking it. For instance, rails [1] and sinatra [2]. There are patches that we could include in the packages but I do not think it is a good idea right now.

I am planning to revisit this during debconf (in almost a couple of months) if anyone is interested.

[1] https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/46594#issuecomment-1621834052
[2] https://github.com/sinatra/sinatra/pull/1857

Cheers!

--