Re: Gitlab packaging project funding status changed.

On ചൊ, ജൂൺ 28 2022 at 06:13:32 വൈകു +00:00:00 +00:00:00, Georg Faerber <georg@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

On 22-06-28 18:37:27, Pirate Praveen wrote:
 <https://opencollective.com/debian-gitlab>

tells:

[...]
Gitlab Inc sponsored work on this project for 6+ years until recently.
Now we are looking for the community to support it

Did GitLab Inc. announce in public that they're not sponsoring this work
anymore? Besides, what's the reasoning of this decision, if any?

The sponsorship / payment was always through direct email communication. Initially it was just me and later Sruthi and Abhijith joined and we created a partnership firm just for this - https://untang.tech (also triggered by concerns from backports admins since it was a single person handling a large number of backports uploads, though since then, the number of uploads to backports reduced, and more uploads are not only in fasttrack.debian.net).

Before starting gitlab, I did a crowd funding of diaspora https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/make-diaspora-installation-one-step-on-debian#/ after this I asked if Gitlab Inc if they can fund half of the amount if I do a crowd funding. They said they can fund full and they kept funding until now from that point.

They said budget constraints, may be their priorities changed.

Thanks,
Georg