Re: ruby-google-protobuf: Missing lib/google/protobuf directory and fails require

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 12:12 am, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
[copying debian-ruby list]

On Sun, 08 Aug 2021 22:08:39 +0530 Akshay S Dinesh <akshay@learnlearn.in> wrote:
> Package: ruby-google-protobuf
> Version: 3.17.3-1
> Severity: grave
> Justification: renders package unusable
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> I was trying to install gitlab to reproduce #966653
>
> Installed ruby-google-protobuf from experimental
>
> The pg_query library was erroring at startup,
> with failure to require 'google/protobuf'
>
> I tried to isolate it to debian by `gem install google-protobuf`
>
> It worked correctly with that.
>
> On comparing stable version
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/protobuf/ruby-google-protobuf_3.12.4-1_amd64.deb
> with the experimental version
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/protobuf/ruby-google-protobuf_3.17.3-1_amd64.deb
>
> I could see that the latter lacks the ..../2.7.0/gems/lib/google/protobuf directory altogether
>
> The upstream gem at https://rubygems.org/downloads/google-protobuf-3.17.3.gem includes
> this lib directory with lots of ruby files
>
> I'm suspecting that this folder is critical to the functioning of this package

I think this is a problem with gem2deb not including the pure ruby files along with the extention. I think we have seen such issues before, but don't remember how we fixed it.

Another possibility is that the rules is calling ruby build only in override_dh_auto_build-arch.

Adding,
ruby/lib/google usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby
to debian/ruby-google-protobuf.install makes require 'google/protobuf' to pass. This can be used as a workaround until we figure out why gem2deb is not installing these files even though gemspec includes them in files.