Re: plan for cinc, chef and ohai and some of its components packaging

On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 02:26:29PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:47 pm, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We had to remove chef due to trademark issues, details here
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=963750
> >
> > Now gitlab from 13.10.0 needs the following dependencies from the chef
> > umbrella.
> >
> > ohai | ~> 16.10
> >
> > chef-config | >= 12.8, < 17
> >
> > chef-utils | >= 16.0, < 17
> >
> > libyajl2 | ~> 1.2
> >
> > I'm planning to package cinc. Does it make sense to just package these
> > required gems only instead of the whole cinc collection?
> > Ideas/sugestions?

Adding stuff to the archive "just because" is not sustainable in the
long run, as every extra package implies potentially extra work for
people working on team-wide efforts such as transitions. So I would
suggest doing the bare minimum to cover what gitlab actually needs.

On the othe hand I _think_ that there was a circular dependency between
chef and chef-config, so maybe you don't have a choice. I don't know if
it this has been fixed upstream, or if it could.

> cinc project provides these gems via
> https://packagecloud.io/cinc-project/stable
>
> and I plan to use these gems as source for the debian packages.

FWIW the removed packages repositories were moved into
https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/attic