Re: rdoc vs reprotest

I Missed that mail.

Am Donnerstag, dem 11.02.2021 um 15:12 -0800 schrieb Dmitry Borodaenko:
> In light of rdoc generated documentation making ruby packages fail
> reprotest, I wonder whether shipping rdoc with ruby libraries is worth
> the trouble of trying to fix this.

During the latest packaging efforts of webgen these issues became obvious
again. I think they have been fixed for the final webgen package. So reprotest
failing is not inevitable.

> These docs are now easily available online and can be trivially rebuilt
> from source by developers who need a local copy. They add a lot to the
> size of the packages (e.g. of the 1.9M unpacked size of ruby-pg, 1.5M is
> rdoc and 0.5M of that is standard boilerplate like JS, images, and
> fonts), this in turn adds to archive size, network bandwidth, time it
> takes to download and install the package.
>
> Is dropping rdoc a reasonable tradeoff to fix reprotest?
>
> If not, any ideas and/or volunteers for making rdoc generated
> documentation reproducible and, ideally, less wasteful?

IMHO a possible solution could be:
- split out the data files into an rdoc-templates package or something
- make the ruby packages using rdoc depend on this package
- create links to the files in this package instead to copy them
- further I think the links in the rdoc templates directories should be
absolute links, not relative ones

Regards, Daniel
--
Regards,
Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> | https://www.wgdd.de/

If you like my work consider sponsoring me via
https://www.patreon.com/join/dleidert