Re: Packaging Open Build Service 2.10.1

Hi Andrew, all,

On 30/12/19 10:25 am, Andrew Lee wrote:
> Hi Hector, Lucas and other ruby team members,
>
> I've already made OBS 2.10.1 package builds in `wip/alee/2.10.1` branch on
> salsa.d.o. This package is currently not suitable for release. And still
> need a lot of tests and polish. So that I write this email to request for
> help hands.
>
> As we talked at ruby bof at DebConf, that we may embedded gems if needed.
> So that I dropped our hacks and re-packaged this package to use mostly the
> same set of gems that OBS upstream uses. This way, we may have the security
> support and bug fixes support from upstream.
>
> Please help to review if any `gems` that we already have the same version
> available in Debian or will be in Debian soon. So that we may drop the
> embedded gem and use the package instead.

I took a look and was surprised to see the number of gems that were
embedded :)
Anyway, I uploaded ruby-haml-rails to match the version of the gem that
was embedded, it can now be removed \o/

Also, there are many gems that can be worked upon (but with care) to, at
least, lessen the numbers there :)
Alternatively, for some, you can patch the Gemfile or/and package.json
to match the version in the archive. Of course, it needs a little work
and patience to test each time.

Furthermore, there's a more neater way to embed a gem or a module.
See this[1] commit for instance. And you can add components for OBS
likewise, too.

Hope that helps?

Best,
Utkarsh