Re: help welcome

Am / On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 14:09:34 +0200
schrieb / wrote Cédric Boutillier <boutil@debian.org>:

> If you are still interested in helping
> maintaining ruby-cmdparse, you are most welcome to join
> the ruby team. We are never lacking manpower to update
> the many packages maintained by the team.
>
> Write an email to debian-ruby@lists.debian.org and create
> an account on the salsa.debian.org platform if you don't
> have one yet. You'll be included in the ruby group and
> can update the package from there, and have your package
> sponsored for an upload in the archive.

Dear Cédric, dear ruby-team,

I'm not quite sure, if I was the right man to help you. I'm
no programmer at all, in real life I work as a
director/producer of radio-features and radio-plays.

Ok, I use Debian for more than two decades now, maintain
debian-machines for family-members and some colleagues and
therefore I now and then build and host my own debian
packages (https://apt.klaumikli.de). But my knowledge of
programming-languages in general and esp. ruby is at best
very rudimentary.

I stumbled into ruby when I started to use webgen as
static website generator for my homepage ten years ago and
actually when I try to adjust some erb or rudy code to my
needs it's still more sensing or feeling and experimenting
than knowing.

Nevertheless: I'm interested in keeping at least the
dependencies of webgen in Debian up to date and in the long
run it would also be nice to get webgen itself back into
Debian, as well as Matthias Siegels ruby-cssminify
(https://github.com/matthiassiegel/cssminify).

All this said, I'm willing to help. I subscribed the
debian-ruby mailinglist and I created an account on
salsa.debian.org (username: klaumi).

I also modified the files in the Debian-directory of my
latest personal package of ruby-cmdparse for an
official release and built a local package of
ruby-cmdparse_3.0.6-1 which seemed to be lintian-clean,
lintian only warns about missing nmu entries:
"W: ruby-cmdparse source: no-nmu-in-changelog
W: ruby-cmdparse source:
source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 3.0.6-1".

So, my question: Is there an easy way to get my work into
salsa.debian.org? I'm not familiar with git and all I
read in the man-pages looked a little bit more complicated
than uploading it ;-)

Klaumi

Klaus-Michael Klingsporn
phone: +49-30-9445363