Re: Rails 6 transition - current status and blockers

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 02:03:41AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As discussed in today's ruby team BoF, I'm sending the list of current
> blockers for rails 6 transition.
>
> 1. node-yarnpkg blocked by node-babel removal (need to port to node-babel7)
> - via ruby-webpackager which is currently in Depends for rails meta package
> (rails new foo needs it). One suggestion from Duck was to lower this
> requirement to Recommends. But we will then also need to disable newapp
> autopkgtest/mark it as skip if dependencies are not available restriction
> (don't remember the exact name, just saw it in today's debconf presentation
> about autopkgtest status).

Restrictions: skippable + exit 77

> 2. rails autopkgtest has a regression in arm64
> https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/testing/arm64/r/rails/6730827/log.gz
> I don't know what is the root cause, it appears something related to python2
> removal.

I started looking at this, and tried to run the rails autopkgtest
locally. It seems to be downloading random (JS) packages from the internet?
If that's the case, I would say we probably don't want that.

> 4. ruby-rspec-rails needs fixing autopkgtest regression (rc bug not filed
> yet)

I fixed this.

> 6. Some packages will need to be removed from testing (if auto removals
> don't remove it by the time the remaining issues are fixed) and missed
> filing rc bugs/wrongly categorized on the tracking wiki: redmine
> ruby-diaspora-federation-rails ruby-has-scope
> Marked for autoremoval.
> ruby-ammeter (28th August)
> ruby-data-migrate (04th September)
> schleuder (05th September)

I think everything that is broken with rails 6 with in testing should be
removed sooner rather than later, to unblock rails migrating. These can
be fixed later. Can someone please just report the corresponding FTBFS
bugs?