Re: question about licensing for ruby-spdx-licenses

Hi,

On 20-02-15 19:30:33, Gabriel Filion wrote:
> There's one package that I need to create as a dependency of
> puppet-development-kit for which I had some questions pop to mind
> about licensing: ruby-spdx-licenses
>
> The code ships a json file that contains information about all of the
> licenses that the library helps with identifying. This json file was
> copied from the SPDX web site:
>
> https://github.com/domcleal/spdx-licenses#spdx-licenses
>
> From what I could gather, the website specifies that all content is
> covered by CC-BY 3.0:
>
> https://spdx.org/Trademark
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/terms/
>
> Then, I also found some mentions about some terms related to the use
> of the SPDX name, which would be present in the package name and in
> the description, and this is where I feel like I'm in uncertain waters
> (at least for me):
>
> https://spdx.org/frequently-asked-questions-faq-0
>
> "Can I use the SPDX trademark?
>     Yes. It is a registered trademark so don't forget the (r)."
>
> Do I need to add (r) after the name "SPDX" in the description? Is it
> an issue if the name is used in the package name (since it's in the
> name of the gem) ?

As far as I understand, this is about a single json file, which
copyright foo is unclear. I'm by no means an expert in this field,
probably debian-legal@ is able to help.

I guess, personally, I would just get rid of this file via a
Files-Excluded: stanza in debian/copyright and leveraging the repack
feature of debian/watch to repack (to remove said file) the upstream
tarball.

Cheers,
Georg