Suggestions on ruby-task-list and node-deckar01-task-list

Hi ruby and js teams,

task_list project [1] provides both ruby and nodejs code from the same repo. Currently only ruby-task-list binary package is created. I added a new binary package node-deckar01-task-list for the nodejs code, but it was rejected by ftp masters [2].

They think we should not add a new binary package for this case and instead should use a Provides field and a single binary package. This means installing node-deckar01-task-list will install ruby with it and ruby-task-list will install nodejs with it. Other option is to remove ruby dependency from ruby-task-list (but there are more dependencies than just ruby) and not add nodejs dependency. The rationale ftp masters give is to reduce number of binary node packages and hence metadata per packages.

In general we have started aggressively embedding smaller nodejs modules already as per ftp maste r suggestion, but in my opinion this is going too far on their mandate.

I don't agree with their decision, but the only option I have to challenege it is a GR. I'd like to hear from the rest of the team what you think about the situation. Do you agree with ftp masters? If you don't agree, would you support a GR to reverse this policy?

Thanks
Praveen

[1] https://github.com/deckar01/task_list
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=921628#10