Ruby team BoF; here's what happened!

Hey,

Ruby team had a BoF on 23rd and here's a quick note to/for everyone to be in sync with:

== Rails 6 Migration ==

- Jongmin Kim is working on it as his GSoC project this year.
- He'll continue to work; any and every help is welcomed (lots of rdepends to fix!).

== Ruby 2.7/2.8 Transition ==

- 2.8 *might* be too late for Bullseye;
- We're conducting a sprint when 2.7 has an RC (or preferably a stable) release by Dec 2019.
- More details about the sprint to be followed up in the upcoming mail thread!

== Use debhelper-compat (=12) ==

- We had a consent on using "debhelper-compat (=12)" in all the packages and dropping the d/compat file.
- Before we do that, we need to fix the dwz problem (the compression stuff with the interpreter).
- I guess kanashiro would work on that when he gets time or dai or me, myself (whenever, whoever).
- If someone's willing to take that up; please do! :D

== Fixing gem2deb ==

- Using github tarballs instead of the one fetched from rubygems; mainly for spec/*, tests/* files.
- Additionally, please add a d/upstream/metadata file; would be good to have it in gem2deb.
- Using cme (libconfig-model editor) to refresh debian/* files; works well for other teams.

I believe Georg is working on that(!?).

== While updating a package.. ==

- Good to refresh all the packages with "cme fix dpkg"; keep the required changes.
- Add d/upstream/metadata whenever possible.
- Use "quilt refresh" after adding a patch and *please* add a "Description" for all the patches.
- Import github tarballs with changing the d/watch file appropriately.
- Make the tests work! :D

== For newcomers.. ==

- Review and sponsor package *often*!
- Encourage people with no uploading rights yet to review RFS requests.
- Document all the newcomer stuff (Sruthi is doing that!).
- Ask newcomers to send an introduction mail to debian-ruby mailing list.

== Call for help ==

- For interpreter and toolchain maintenance, kanashiro (and possibly me) stepped up; need more people!!
- More things could be worked out in the sprint(s).

== Monthly IRC meeting/sprint ==

- Have a monthly meeting on IRC (and get some stuff done)!
- Make ALL packages autopkgtest-able, whenever and however :D

== Use Salsa CI ==

- We discussed to use Salsa CI but don't know who's willing to go ahead with it and how?
- Maybe this could be discussed over the next IRC meet or the sprint next year.

== Things we didn't get time to discuss in a proper way ==

- Find a way to track and file a RM request for obsolete libraries.
- Different versions of Ruby (for eg: ruby2.5, ruby2.6, ruby2.7) available in the archive.
- Provide infra (containers!?) support like upstream.
- *Maybe* a more clear way to use Salsa CI?

The original discussion could be seen on the gobby doc, under debconf19/bof/RubyTeam.
Feel free to ask anything if not conveyed clearly enough.
If I missed something or got it wrong, please correct it; apologies in advance! :D

Farewell from Curitiba; *hope* to see you soon!

Best,
Utkarsh