Re: RM: ruby-websocket?

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:07:49PM +0530, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> Hey,
>
> There's an RC bug for ruby-websocket (
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=903448).
> It is also affecting ruby-websocket-parser.

This is a problem caused by ruby-websocket-parser (I just followed up to
the bug report)

> Also, I noticed:
> ➜  ~ apt-cache rdepends ruby-websocket
> Reverse Depends:
> ruby-websocket
>
> So since there's no reverse dependency of ruby-websocket, is it a good
> reason to file a RM request for the package?

IMO: if a package is broken beyond repair, there are no reverse
dependencies and noone cares enough to fix it for a long time, then we
can think about removing it.

In this case, the problem is really in another package. I don't think we
should remove packages that are otherwise useful (a websocket library is
most probably useful to have) just because nothing else in Debian uses
them. People also write their custom applications targetted at Debian (I
do), and even if those applications are never packaged themselves,
having useful libraries in the archive makes that a lot easier.