Re: ruby 2.5 sysconfdir and others wrong

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 01:49:29PM +0000, John Leach wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 09:17 -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:

> > > Hi Antonio,
> > >
> > > thanks for that, but your patch seems to be adding in a --
> > > runstatedir
> > > flag to configure and that doesn't look supported by ruby (
> > > --localstatedir and --sysconfdir are though)
> > >
> > > Is that a mistake or am I misunderstanding something?
> >
> > Good question. There is a runstatedir entry in RbConfig::CONFIG, but
> > indeed configure does how who a corresponding --runstatedir.
> > --runstatedir is a commonly-accepted flag in autotools-based project,
> > however.
> >
> > I'm not sure how this ends up in rbconfig, or if my passing
> > --runstatedir has any effect at all. I would need to drop it and try
> > again, but that is not a priority for me at the moment.
>
> for me it's actually breaking the build:
>
> configure: error: unrecognized option: `--runstatedir=/var/run'
>
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/359619234/buildlog_ubuntu-artful-amd64.r
> uby2.5_2.5.0-4bbox5~artful1_BUILDING.txt.gz
>
> I've removed it to get things building for me. Unsure how (or if?) it's
> working for Debian, but my build environment is a bit different.

debhelper compat mode 10 enables dh_autoreconf by default, so the
configure that is executed is not the same configure that comes prebuilt
with the tarball. and AIUI --runstatedir is a standard autoconf flag, so
it becomes available when we rebuild configure locally.

you seem to be doing some backporting, and downgrading the debhelper
compat level for some reason? Ubuntu artful does have debhelper >= 10