RFS: ruby-arel 9.0.0-1 (and some questions)

Dear Debian Ruby people,

While trying to upload a new upstream release of schleuder, I've ran
into the following problem while testing the package with ruby2.5:

   1) Schleuder::LoggerNotifications notifies admins of multiple text-messages
      Failure/Error: list = create(:list, send_encrypted_only: false)

      TypeError:
        Cannot visit Integer
      # ./spec/schleuder/unit/logger_notifications_spec.rb:43:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
      # ./spec/spec_helper.rb:46:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'
      # ./spec/spec_helper.rb:45:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'
      # ------------------
      # --- Caused by: ---
      # NoMethodError:
      #   undefined method `visit_Integer' for #<Arel::Visitors::SQLite:0x000055caa233cbe8>
      #   Did you mean?  visit_String
      #   ./spec/schleuder/unit/logger_notifications_spec.rb:43:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

This error is happening with every spec that accesses the database, i.e.
nearly the complete test suite.

Currently, ruby-arel is unstable is 6.0.3. I think, this problem was
fixed via [1], released in 6.0.4.

Therefore, I would like to update ruby-arel. The only reverse dependency
seems to be ruby-activerecord. However, the control file of this
packages specifies ruby-arel >= 6.0, ruby-arel << 7.0. However, I'm
wondering why is that, as the gemspec of activerecord only declares the
first part, not the second one [3]. If there is no valid reason for the
versioning, could we change this accordingly?

For now, I've imported the new upstream version into git, and pushed
some changes to the packaging to the branch debian/9.0.0-1 [4]. I've
also uploaded the dsc [5].

Besides this, I would like to enable autopkgtests for ruby-arel, to spot
errors like this earlier: Tests are available in the upstream repo [6],
however, unfortunately, these aren't shipped in the release files.
Should I ask upstream to include them, or is there a better way? Using
quilt for such a task seems like a big hassle.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks for your work, as always,
cheers,
Georg