Re: strategy for upgrading "core" development gems?

On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 11:29:52PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked into upgrading webmock to a more recent version. The current
> version in Debian is 1.22.6-1, with a number of versions released since
> then[1]. I tried to package version 3.0.1, but unfortunately, there has
> been some incompatible changes, and the following
> reverse-build-dependencies fail to build with 3.0.1:
>
> [1] https://rubygems.org/gems/webmock/versions
>
> berkshelf
> gist
> ruby-flowdock
> ruby-gemnasium-gitlab-service
> ruby-influxdb
> ruby-license-finder
> ruby-mixlib-install
> ruby-omniauth-crowd
> ruby-rest-client
> ruby-ridley
> (out of 31 reverse b-deps, it's not too bad)
>
> I wonder what we would do about such "core" development packages. Upgrading the
> leaf packages first does not work because newer versions tend to require newer
> core packages, so it's a chicken-and-egg problem.
>
> One possible strategy could be to:
> - upload the new version of webmock to unstable
> - with a versioned Breaks: on the broken packages (so that it does not migrate to testing)
> - file RC bugs given those packages now FTBFS in unstable

The problem is that Breaks: is supposed to be between binary packages,
and the existing binaries for those reverse build-dependencies are not
exactly really broken. Also, if you specify `Breaks: ruby-foo (<< X)`,
you cannot be really sure that version X will actually fix the issue.

IMO the strategy should be just

1) upload new version
2) file RC bugs against the packages that will now FTBFS in unstable