Re: help/ideas for debugger-ruby_core_source

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 04:10:54PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just created ruby-debugger-ruby-core-source in alioth (it is a
> dependency of rblineprof which in turn is a dependency of gitlab 9.5.x).
>
> Would it be enough to just use the .h files we ship in ruby2.3-dev? Or
> can we include .inc files too in -dev package? I can see many more files
> in the other directories provided in there.
>
> I was planning to drop those source files and ship only the headers
> corresponding to the ruby version we ship. Is that enough?

I didn't look into details, but I could gather a few facts:

1) rblineprof is a _development_ tool, you
should not have to package it to have gitlab in the archive.

2) debugger-ruby_core_source does not look maintained upstream, as the
latest version from which it embeds code is 2.1:

https://github.com/cldwalker/debugger-ruby_core_source/tree/master/lib/debugger/ruby_core_source

The README says "ruby >= 2.0 is not supported", and points to the
following page for more information:

https://github.com/cldwalker/debugger#known-issues, which says "Only
1.9.2 and 1.9.3 are supported. For 2.X rubies, consider using byebug".
And we already have byebug.

So, it seems to me that you are going down this rabbit role for nothing.