Re: buster: going from ruby2.3 straight to ruby2.5?

* Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> [170609 03:25]:
> We are now more or less 6 months from the release of Ruby 2.5, and I was
> thinking whether it makes sense for us to transition to Ruby 2.4 and
> then transition again to Ruby 2.5.

[..]

> Can anyone think of a good reason to not go straight to 2.5,

I think avoiding 2.4 because it would only be extra work for us with
no benefit does make lots of sense.

> starting ASAP after the release with a pre-release ruby2.5?

On this I share Lucas' concerns about ABI stability, plus Ubuntu may
end up shipping a pre-release 2.5 then. Why not wait until 2.5 is
out before sending it to unstable?

I can see how it'd be nice to test with pre-release versions, but
maybe this is better done elsewhere (similar to what is done with
Haskell AFAIK?).

Cheers,
-ch