looking for some help with backporting git 2.11 support to gitlab 8.13.11

Hi team,

I tried backporting git 2.11 support from gitlab 8.15.x series to
8.13.11, but its more complicated than I initially thought. With help
from Balasankar, we tried to find more commits that would need to be
backported as well, but we are not able to fix it fully.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=853251 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=851714 for more
details. Upstream has promised to do an official backport release, but
has not committed a timeline for the same.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Praveen