Re: Steps to follow to not break gitlab and diaspora when dependencies are updated

On 2016, ജൂൺ 15 11:14:35 PM IST, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> wrote:
>I suffered with this for a long time with rails, vagrant, and redmine,
>and maybe others, and realized that it's easier to just relax the
>dependencies in the metadata with a Debian-specific patch and follow up
>to actual breakage (tests, bug reports, etc), than to stick to such
>strict dependencies.
>
>My general approach is to simplify ~> x.y.z to ~> x.y, and assume that
>the upstream maintainers of the dependencies are not insane, even if
>they didn't explicitly stated that they "follow SemVer". This mostly
>works.

I have been doing this on demand (when I have to update a dependency) and get upstream to relax it. But it seems there is no patience to get it done right.

With gitlab 8.8.2+dfsg-5, I have done this for all stable libraries.

>Expecting the whole archive to align exactly right with the original
>metadata in these packages with insane dependency trees is pretty
>unrealistic.

No, this was not the expectation, but to fix gitlab to do the right thing upstream. They have been positive to most requests.