Re: uploading to jessie-backports (Re: migrating to Debian gitlab)

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:53:44PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> [dropping devel and adding debian-ruby]
>
> On Wednesday 23 March 2016 02:02 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > I have built it on jessie (with tests disabled for some packages).
> >
> > http://mahishasura.pxq.in/ has the gitlab package for jessie. I have
> > automated the build process to a large extend here
> > https://gitlab.com/debian-ruby/backportr
>
> I have updated gitlab to 8.5.8 in my repo.
>
> > I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to upload it to
> > jessie-backports. Looking for comments from the backports team. Also any
> > help in maintaining the backports is welcome.
>
> Gitlab Inc, has extended funding for another 20 days (with first 60 days
> completed and second round of 20 days already in progress, 100 days in
> total) so I can complete gitlab backporting to jessie.
>
> I have got access to backports and will start uploading the dependencies
> now.
>
> Here is the sequential list of dependencies
> https://gitlab.com/debian-ruby/backportr/blob/master/lib/gitlab_sequential.txt

I do realize that it will be very useful for everyone to have Gitlab
installable on jessie right now, but I am not completely sure that
uploading 300+ packages to jessie-backports is a good idea. Will you be
able to support that _for the whole lifetime of jessie_  once the time
funded by Gitlab Inc runs out?

Also, your list includes things like openssl, I really don't think you
should touch that.

a new enough jquery is already available in jessie-backports.

is a new version of nodejs really necessary?